As our dogs age, they can begin to experience some aches and pains. While slowing down with old age is normal, they can also be developing arthritis and inflammation in their joints. While this is often a natural occurrence with aging, it doesn’t mean that there aren’t ways for us to alleviate some of their discomfort. Luckily, there are dog food options specifically for dogs with joint pain due to arthritis. If you think your dog is experiencing joint pain, continue reading for an in depth look into some of the best dog food for joint health.
If you are pinched for time, our top picks for the best food for dogs with arthritis at a glance are:
Quick Review: Top-5 Arthritis Dog Food
What is arthritis in dogs?
Just like arthritis in humans, this disease causes inflammation in a dog’s joints. This can make their daily life quite uncomfortable, and can lead to difficulties getting around like they used to.
Dogs can experience arthritis pain in many joints throughout their body. Some of the most common joints affected include the hips, the elbows, the lower back, and the wrists. In a healthy dog, the joints are covered in a thin layer of smooth cartilage which acts as a lubricant when the joints rub together.
When a dog has arthritis in their joints, the thin layer of cartilage becomes damaged and worn down. This leads to constant friction of the joints when moved, and severe pain as it progresses.
So how do you know if your dog is suffering from joint pain due to arthritis?
Signs and Symptoms of Arthritis in Dogs
Our dogs can be good at masking their discomfort, so it can be tough to know when they are really in pain. Some common signs you may see in a dog with arthritis or joint pain include:
- Difficulty getting up
- They are moving slower
- Disinterest in activities they used to enjoy
- Pain when touched in certain areas
- Behavioral changes
- Crying out during movements
If your dog is experiencing any of the above signs, it’s time to consider a dog food for joint and bone health.
How can food help your dog’s arthritis?
A nutritious diet can do wonders for many health conditions in a dog. By packing their food with beneficial ingredients, you can target their inflammation and pain from within.
In the best dog food for dogs with arthritis, there will be ingredients that are known to help with joint and bone health. These ingredients work by reducing inflammation, and helping to lubricate their joints. Some of the beneficial ingredients you may see in the best dog food for bone health include:
- Glucosamine: Glucosamine helps to repair damaged cartilage, and reduces inflammation of tissues. It helps to repair previous damage, and prevent joint damage in the future.
- Green-lipped mussels: Green-lipped mussels contain a variety of fatty acids that are known to reduce inflammation from joint disease.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3 Fatty Acids act as a lubricating agent, making it ideal for joint health. This supplement is also used for its benefit to dry skin, and even immune health.
- Methyl-sulfonyl-methane (MSM): MSM helps to support bone and joint health by reducing inflammation in the joints, and preventing joint damage in the future.
- Duralactin: Duralactin is an agent that is used in conditions that cause chronic inflammation. It’s anti-inflammatory properties make it ideal for dogs suffering from arthritis.
What Brands Make The Best Dog Food For Dogs With Arthritis January 2020?
1 in every 5 dogs will suffer from arthritis in their senior years, so that means there are millions of dogs who currently experience joint pain. Since it is such a common disease in the animal world, there are several kinds of dog food that claim to help with joint and bone health. All of the options can get overwhelming, so we’ve made a list of some of the brands we trust to deliver a quality dog food for arthritis and joint health.
Our favorite brands that produce the best dog food for dogs with arthritis include:
- Wellness: Which creates a dog food with omega fatty acids and balanced nutrition for joint and overall health.
- Victor: Which creates a dog food that contains mineral complexes that are ideal for joint health, joint regeneration, and overall wellness.
- Nulo Freestyle: Which creates a dog food with senior dogs in mind, that includes glucosamine and chondroitin for joint and bone health.
- Nutro Max: Which creates a dog food for senior dogs, that includes glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and overall wellness.
- Diamond Naturals: Which creates a dog food containing omega fatty acids, which are ideal for joint and bone health.
Now that we’ve revealed the brands that we trust, we will dive into the details of each specific food. With this list of great choices, your pup is bound to find a food that they love, and one that does wonders for their joint pain!
Best Food For Dogs With Arthritis
- Wellness CORE Grain Free Original
- A list of beneficial ingredients for dog joint health including: glucosamine, chondroitin, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants.
- Grain free for the dogs who suffer from allergies to grains.
- Optimum fat and calories for maintaining a healthy weight.
- High levels of quality protein.
- It is not poultry free, meaning it’s not ideal for dogs with allergies to chicken.
- Victor Performance Formula With Glucosamine
- Included glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Includes omega fatty acids for joint and skin health.
- Added probiotics for digestive health.
- Lean meats and poultry to help create lean muscle mass.
- Digestible whole grains.
- It does include grains and poultry, meaning it is not ideal for dogs with allergies to grains or chicken.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Senior
- Has a controlled fat content, meaning it’s ideal for weight management.
- Natural ingredients that promote health and wellness.
- Naturally sourced glucosamine for joint and bone support for dogs.
- Also contains calcium and phosphorus for bone health.
- Included probiotics that help to aid in digestion.
- Does contain poultry, meaning dogs with chicken allergies should not consume.
- Is not grain free.
- The level of protein is not as high as other brands.
- Nutro Max For Senior Dogs
- Contains fatty acids for joint and skin health.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals for immune support in older dogs.
- Natural ingredients aid in healthy digestion.
- It’s quality protein helps to promote lean muscle mass.
- It does not contain any glucosamine and chondroitin like the other brands.
- It does contain chicken and grain, meaning it’s not ideal for dogs with allergies.
- Diamond Naturals Large Breed Adult
- Packed with antioxidants from fruits and vegetables.
- Includes glucosamine and chondroitin for joint and bone health in dogs.
- Contains omega fatty acids for joint and skin health.
- Has digestible whole grains such as brown rice and barley.
- Rich in probiotics for digestive health.
- This food is not grain free, so it’s not a great option for dogs with grain allergies.
What should I do if I think my dog is experiencing joint pain?
If you think your dog is suffering from arthritis, you should contact your vet for a well rounded management plan. While quality food with ingredients for joint health do help dogs with arthritis, they often need additional supplements as well. Speaking with your vet can help you come up with the perfect plan for your senior dog.
What are some other ways I can help my dog with joint pain besides food?
Some other ways you can help your dog with arthritis include:
- Speaking with your vet
- Getting them on joint supplements
- Raising their bowls off the ground so they don’t have to lean down to eat
- Giving them a comfortable and thick bed
- Keep them at a healthy weight so there is no unnecessary stress on their joints
- Provide a low stress environment
Last update on 2020-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API