Have you heard of 4Health? If you have, you may have been wondering whether it’s something your puppy or dog would thrive on. You might also have been a little confused if you heard 4Health mentioned along with the Tractor Supply Company…because, huh?In this article, we’ll explain it all for you. We’ve covered all the ins and outs of who makes 4Health dog food, what’s in it, and what you can expect for your dog. So, let’s get reviewing!
Quick Review: Top-4 Dog Foods From 4Health
About 4Health Dog Food
Who Makes 4Health Dog Food?
The Schell and Kampeter-owned Diamond Pet Foods are behind 4Health. The Missouri-based company operates manufacturing facilities in the States only and is also known for Kirkland, Diamond, and other dog foods.
The ‘4Health’ brand itself belongs to Tractor Supply Company, and includes not only premium ingredient dinner recipes for dogs and cats, but treats, too! The privately-owned label actually produces a pretty extensive selection of different lines and formulas, which we’ll look at a little more closely in this article.
What’s Special About 4Health?
First up, 4Health is healthy. Because the Original line of foods alone contains 9 different kibbles at the time of writing, we weren’t able to review every single one. But the brand claims of ‘no fillers or additives’ appears to hold up. None that we reviewed — and none of the many more that we browsed — had any ‘fillers’ or unnecessary additives in their ingredients lists.
Instead, for recipe after recipe, we found plenty of wholesome ingredients like authentic meat and veggies, ‘tummy-friendly’ grains like oatmeal, and plenty of good doggy things like DHA and Omega acids.
And, besides being an affordable yet healthy (even premium) brand, there are other reasons why a lot of owners choose 4Health. One is that this brand offers a LOT of different dog foods — we counted dozens of different flavors and sizes that mean heaps of choices for us owners. These include:
- 4Health Grain Free Dog Foods – while most of its products skip the corn, wheat, and even soy, 4Health does make totally grain-free wet and dry foods for both puppies and adults;
- 4Health Untamed Dog Food – here, you’ll find the more enticing flavors, such as ‘Highland Lamb and Lentil’, or ‘Farm and Stream’ that are made from ‘novel’ meats;
- 4Health Special Care Dog Food – these are 4Health hypoallergenic or limited ingredient options, which include sensitive stomach and skin food;
- 4Health Original Dog Food – which includes wet and dry dog food as well as the popular 4Health Performance Dog Food; and (of course)
- 4Health Puppy Food.
While the last one — 4Health Puppy Food — isn’t technically a separate brand, we thought it was worth mentioning. That’s just because, as puppy owners, it’s usually one of the first things our eyes are trained to spot!
4Health Dog Food Recalls
When looking into dog food recalls, it’s often a good idea to take a ‘bigger picture’ approach and consider what has been recalled from the manufacturer rather than just the brand. Because 4Health is made at Diamond pet food plants, the latest relevant recall took place in 2012.
This was a pretty large, but voluntary, recall of all Diamond’s foods with specific use-by dates. These were due to potential contamination of the foods with Salmonella. No 4Health food, however, was found to be tainted.
Why the 4Health Puppy Food Reviews and 4Health Dog Food Reviews?
Here are the top reasons we’ve chosen to look more closely at 4Health:
- 4Health does not include corn or wheat within any of its dog foods. It’s a plus even for dogs who are totally fine with gluten, given that these are often considered common allergens;
- The brand uses what they call ‘premium ingredients’. To discerning dog owners like us, that claim holds water — real animal and vegetable ingredients make up a lot of the ingredients list, with the rest being recognizable and standard supplements;
- Even so, it’s reasonably priced;
- 4Health doesn’t use fake colors, flavors, or even synthetic preservatives; and
- There really is something for every dog, with many senior, puppy, and special diet options.
Our 4Health Dog Food Reviews
4Health Grain Free Dog Food Reviews
First, we’ve taken a closer peek at a delicious-sounding 4Health Untamed dog food dinner…
- 4health Grain Free Adult Dog Food
- 25% protein and 14% fat for your adult pooch;
- Includes non-meat tasty proteins such as lentils and peas;
- Supplemented with Vitamin E for protection against diseases;
- Fatty fish and flaxseed acids promote gorgeous, manageable fur; and
- Features dog-specific probiotics that enable smooth digestion.
- Unfortunately, there aren’t any fiber-rich fruits or vegetables to be found here.
- 4health Small Breed Formula Grain Free Adult Dog Food
- Lentils, chickpeas, and iron-rich regular peas provide additional protein alongside the beef and lamb;
- Provides your grown pooch with selenium and zinc for smooth, optimal skin condition;
- Contains only natural flavors and preservatives;
- 27% protein; and
- At 350k/Cal a cup, it’s made for regular feeds!
- Doesn’t include any colorful or leafy vegetables.
The 4Health Puppy Food Reviews
In this section, you’ll find our delicious original 4health puppy food and 4health grain free puppy food reviews. Let’s see what’s on the menu…
- 4health Puppy Formula Dog Food
- Contains probiotics that aid your little pup’s digestion and metabolism;
- This is a corn-, wheat- and soy-free blend, helping your pup avoid some of the most common grain allergens;
- Includes Vitamin E that helps your best friend keep a healthy coat and skin;
- DHA assists in your puppy pal’s cerebral development; and
- Has no synthetic additives!
- No, we like it! This blend also includes lovely blueberries and apples, as well as vitamin-rich tomatoes and spinach!
- 4health Grain Free Puppy Formula Dog Food
- 27% protein, which is a healthy lean protein figure for little pups of all sizes;
- That includes a diverse selection of different proteins, such as fish, egg, and legumes;
- Vitamins are both natural and supplemented into this blend, with real sources including raspberries and tomato;
- Provides DHA to your pup; and
- Includes skin-healthy selenium and zinc.
The 4Health Wet Dog Food Reviews
4Health does offer several types of canned food, however, you’ll need to physically slog to the store for most of them. Here, we’ve reviewed two flavors that you can get in one pack without having to leave the house!
- 4health Grain Free Adult Wet Dog Food
- With 9% protein and real chicken or beef as the headlining ingredient, both flavors provide enough lean protein for healthy muscle maintenance;
- The two flavors both include liver, a nutritious, vitamin-rich addition in moderate amounts;
- They are both supplemented with your dog’s required minerals, including iron, copper, manganese, and zinc;
- Zero wheat, zero soy, zero corn (of course, it’s grain-free!); and
- Offers moisture for dogs who don’t frequently drink water.
- Nutritionally, this meets our high standards for grown dog food, but it lacks real vegetables.
Hypoallergenic 4Health Dog Food
- 4health Special Care Sensitive Stomach Formula for Adult Dogs
- 25% protein;
- Contains Menhaden oil that’s a known source of DHA;
- Supplemented with Vitamins A, B, D, and E;
- Offers zinc for skin health; and
- It’s totally grain-free!
- The top ingredient for this particular blend is potatoes. That’s neither protein-rich nor suitable for intolerant dogs.
- 4health Special Care Sensitive Skin Formula Adult Dog Food
- Hydrolyzed salmon protein aims to reduce the likelihood of intolerances;
- Contains Omega-6 from sunflower oil and real salmon oil to provide Omega-3;
- Together, these work wonders for dogs who’ve got sensitive skin!
- The limited ingredient formula lets you easily keep a close eye on what your dog’s taking in; and
- Gives your dog 25% protein in each meal.
- Well, there are no fiber-rich fruits or vegetables, but that’s what Limited Ingredient Diets are all about — so no cons here!
How do I know which 4Health dog food is grain free?
4Health has four official ranges of kibble — Original, Grain-Free, Untamed, and Special Care. Obviously, the Grain-Free products are totally gluten-free and contain zero grains. That means no rice or oatmeal, either.
However, there are also grain-free kibbles within the Special Care and Untamed lines of 4Health dog food, like the Sensitive Stomach option in our 4Health reviews above. What we can’t ever assure anyone is that a dog food will be free from cross-contamination. As 4Health, like so many other brands, is manufactured at a larger plant that produces other dog foods, it’s important to keep in mind that the facilities may sometimes be used to handle grain ingredients.
How can I make my puppy’s fur shine?
Great question! It’s always fun when your puppy is happy and healthy — but if he’s super-handsome, too, that’s a nice bonus! For lovely fur, a good well-rounded diet should be the first step. As you’ll see in our 4health puppy food reviews, Omega acids are commonly included in kibble to help that natural luster shine through. They include DHA, EPA, and the slightly less ‘famous’ GLA.
At the same time, you can also help your puppy’s fur shine by brushing his coat to get rid of dust and nip any tangles in the bud. Usually, you can also shampoo your pup a healthy amount with special pet shampoo. Make sure you rinse your fluffy friend properly, however, as leaving some shampoo or conditioner in his fur will take away from the shine. And here’s a funny one — you can also give him a little ‘buff’ when you dry him off. Hope that helps!
Last update on 2019-06-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API