Whether you’ve been feeding your dog or puppy with Pedigree dog food for years, or you’re thinking about switching to a new brand that might be better for your best friend, you’ve come to the right spot!
We’re 100% all about giving you the information you’ll find helpful to pick out the best Pedigree product for your little puppy, not-so-little puppy, small adult, hypoallergenic dog, and all the rest. So, with no further ado, let’s learn a little more about this well-known and international dog food brand.
Quick Review: Top-5 Dog Foods From Pedigree
Who is Pedigree dog food?
Pedigree is owned by Mars, which is an American firm. They actually started making dog foods and puppy foods in the UK, but are headquartered in Virginia. If you’ve got a cat, you may find it interesting to know that Mars actually makes Whiaskas as well, another super-famous pet food.
Why is Pedigree so special?
Have you ever heard of the Pedigree Foundation? This is the brand’s awesome charitable initiative that gives back to society by donating directly to dog homes, pooch rescue, and homeless dog shelters. We always give a thumbs up to those brands that make an effort to help less fortunate canines, and we think Pedigree is doing some good work in helping out those dogs who sadly, may not have forever homes yet.
Additionally, Pedigree collaborates very closely with the Mars-owned clinic- the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition- where all the science behind their puppy food takes place. Scientists, researchers, and nutritionists all work together here to formulate and improve the puppy foods we’ve brought you today in our Pedigree puppy food reviews, so all their products are based on solid scientific evidence.
Pedigree’s website alone boasts at least 81 great puppy foods, puppy treats, wet puppy food, and dog foods, and there are a whole lot more options available online. Amongst the many flavors of food, you’ll find, Pedigree makes salmon dinners, chicken, lamb, and even dog food that’s steak flavored!
Why we’ve chosen to do Pedigree dog food reviews and Pedigree puppy food reviews
All the Pedigree Dry kibble formulas are made so that every dog can eat them. Their dry kibbles are therefore able to address the nutritional requirements of senior or veteran dogs, puppies, adults, and also for all types of breeds. All the dog food made by Pedigree is also crafted to meet four key criteria:
- Oral Care– which they address by making sure calcium is present in the right amounts for your puppy or dog, and through kibble structure, shape, and size;
- Digestion– their puppy foods and dog foods all got revamped quite recently, and contain ingredients such as rice and fiber to help your puppy or dog be regular and digest more smoothly;
- Immunity– by including healthy amounts of C vitamins, alongside E vitamins, and other antioxidants, the kibbles, and chow in our Pedigree dog food reviews is developed to assist your dog in fighting off diseases;
- Skin and Coat- zinc and the less well-known linoleic acid each play their parts in keeping your dog or puppy’s coat and skin hydrated and in top condition.
Pedigree Dog Food Reviews
The Grain Free Pedigree Dog Food Reviews
Rather than focus on eliminating grains from their puppy foods and dog foods entirely, Pedigree believes in the importance of using grain ingredients such as corn as a source of energy, protein, and amino acids. As a source of fiber, corn’s also included in Pedigree foods as a way to promote easier digestion and regular stools. The same applies to wheat, actually.
With regard to Pedigree’s use of milled corn gluten and gluten meal, the brand tends not to use these as filler agents, in the way that cheaper brands would do. Instead, these ingredients are used to provide amino acids, as antioxidant sources, and to provide your dog with linoleic acid, which dogs can’t make themselves. Linoleic acid plays its part in your puppy’s diet by maintaining his first lines of defense- his fluffy coat and beautiful skin!
The Pedigree Puppy Food Reviews
- Pedigree PUPPY Growth and Protection
- No non-natural flavors, a definite plus;
- Protein from a variety of sources, and at a total of 27% that facilitates healthy growth;
- 2% calcium, for strong skeletal development- and puppy teeth!
- Some vegetables here too, to go with your puppy’s chicken feast;
- Easily mixable with either wet puppy food or water for some variety.
- Soy, as well as corn and wheat, are used to make this puppy food. So sadly, it’s not for puppies who can’t tolerate gluten.
- Pedigree Choice Cuts Puppy Wet
- Sixteen packets of tasty sauce and authentic chicken at a price that’s economical compared to other dog food brands;
- Fish oil gives your little one DHA, which, as we’ve just discussed, is a darn good thing for dogs;
- The 9% protein’s sourced from various ingredients, including egg, and pork;
- 4% fat;
- Loads of vitamin supplements as well as minerals like manganese, copper, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
- Contains some by-products from meat.
The Wet Pedigree Dog Food Reviews
- Pedigree Puppy Pouches Meat Selection in Jelly
- Zero non-natural colors, preserving agents, and of course, zero synthetic flavors;
- Rich source of the Omega-6 that your puppy will need for radiant fur and skin protection;
- Contains zinc, which does the same;
- Each box contains four different meal types, from chicken, through lamb and poultry, to tasty beef!
- Made with rice, which is smooth to digest for little puppy tummies, as well as being a source of energy.
- With wet puppy foods, you’ll be paying more per meal, but isn’t your little one so worth it?
The Pedigree Adult Dog Food Review
Here’s Pedigree’s most popular dog food for grown-ups. Real veggies are included inside this recipe, and at 319 kCal within every cup and a crunchy kibble for dental health, it’s A-OK to feed this to senior dogs as well.
- Pedigree Complete Nutrition Adult
- 21% protein, which is an ideal level for healthy maintenance;
- 10% fat, a responsible amount that won’t give your adult dog excess energy;
- Calcium’s present at a 1% level, alongside minerals including phosphorus, copper, and zinc;
- Fat-soluble E vitamins for skin and coat health;
- Available in lamb and steak flavors, and includes peas and carrots too!
- Includes milled by-products from chicken, and fat’s from an obscure ‘animal’ source.
The Pedigree Small Dog Food Review
- PEDIGREE Senior Dry
- Antioxidants from veggies;
- These veggies are also a source of Vitamin A and carotene (from carrots) and iron (from peas);
- Immune system support from Vitamin E;
- Chondroitin and glucosamine within this recipe, to support joint health for older dogs;
- A further calcium boost from supplements within the formula, bringing total calcium to at least 1%.
- Not the best food for those small or veteran dogs who require a grain-free lifestyle.
The Pedigree Large Dog Food Review
Large dogs such as Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Huskies, and Labradors have contrasting macronutrient requirements to smaller dogs such as Yorkies. They also can have a need for bigger kibble sizes, as this can help to cut down on gulping down food too fast.
- PEDIGREE Large Breed Adult Dry
- All-American, 100% made in the USA;
- Zero added sugars, zero corn syrup, zero synthetic flavoring agents;
- P for Peas, P for protein- which rolls in at 22%;
- Larger sized and rougher kibble pieces for bigger jaws and to combat plaque;
- 10% fat is at the lower end of the scale if you’re concerned about your large dog overeating.
- Like the other Pedigree foods, it’s not free of grains, nor is it free of by-products.
What do veterinary professionals think of Pedigree dog food?
No matter what anyone thinks of Pedigree dog food, you can’t deny their dependability and well known name in the dog food community. Pedigree is known for being at the top of the list when it comes to budget dog foods, meaning it’s a great option for pet owners looking to save some money at check out. Pedigree is considered a lower end diet in comparison to premium brands, but it does not mean it’s not worth feeding to your furry friend. If you’re on a tight budget but want to offer your dog the best budget option, Pedigree is the perfect diet for you.
How does kibble structure lead to dental health?
First things first. When we talk about canine dental wellness or oral hygiene, we’re thinking about tartar, plaque, and also bits of food that can get stuck in your dog or puppy’s mouth. Kibble alone will not completely be able to guarantee your puppy or dog’s dental health. What a crunchy kibble or rough texture such as those in some of the Pedigree dog food reviews above can do, is help to get rid of some of the plaque that’s building up around the uppermost parts of your dog’s teeth. In this way, you’ll be helping your puppy or dog to fight off its accumulation using mechanical means.
For a more complete approach to dental health, it’s not a bad idea to give your dog a meaty bone! These should be uncooked, and you should try to avoid bones that may splinter- such as thigh bones from cows and bigger animals that will generally be weaker from supporting the animal’s weight all its life. Chewing on a rough bone will help your dog in the same way that a rougher kibble will do, except that bones have a little give in the sense that they can reach around his teeth and access those harder-to-reach spots.
What makes the senior, smaller sized breed dog food so different?
Smaller breeds of puppies and grown dogs, as we’ve written about in our Yorkshire Terrier article, will have special requirements when they reach an older age. In contrast to larger dog breeds, they’ll be on the whole more susceptible to things like free radical damage than arthritis, which is more prevalent in bigger dogs at a later age. And antioxidants can aid in fighting this damage. So, like the dog food we’ve picked out for our Pedigree small dog food review for senior small breeds, antioxidants are going to be of relatively high priority within their diets. Antioxidants such as those C vitamins can be found within carrots, along with Vitamin E; and both are combined with supplementary sources in this senior dog food.
Last update on 2020-08-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API